Stay in a riverside cottage originally built in the 1700's, and recently authentically renovated, to provide a comfortable holiday home with private gated pool, full of olde worlde charm….
Filled with original features including beamed ceilings, traditional flooring, lintels over windows, original stone staircases and flagstone courtyard, this 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom property has been recently renovated using traditional, and where possible the original materials to create just the right ambience, for a different holiday!
Situated in perfect peace next to a trout stream this private cottage is ideal for those seeking a truly different holiday. Whilst there is a private pool, there is also the river which is a great adventure for children to play in if they bring their wellies/jellies. The grounds are perfect for secluded picnics, with just the sounds of the river . It is extremely difficult to gain permission for a pool beside such an historic building, and in a riverside location so this property is quite unique..
This is a perfect choice for a totally ‘alternative’ holiday, staying away from it all in authentic, but comfortable accommodation, beside the river, and with great opportunity for walking. This would be a wonderful family holiday, and I imagine it would be impossible to tear children away from all this outdoor experience.
Additional property information
• Ground floor :
• • Enter into hallway, with original stone stair case.
• The hallway leads on the left to a dining room, with plenty of room for all to dine in comfort, and this room leads through to a utlity room with washing machine, freezer and downstairs WC .
• To the right of the hallway is a traditional style kitchen, with counter top oven, hob, dishwasher and fridge, and an orginal 'vetrina' for housing crockery . The kitchen has two windows.
• Through the kitchen and into the living room with original fireplace, 2 fireside chairs and a corner sofa. Original vetrina,TV/DVD/Cd, WIFI, and door leading out to courtyard.
• Up the traditional stone stairs to:
• Two double bedrooms, both with two windows.
• One twin bedroom.
• Two brand new shower rooms, each with shower cubicle, bidet, WC and sink.
• Into 'Quiet room' - a loft style room with conservatory style furniture, ideal for relaxing away from the rest of the group, or for use as a 'den' for older children.
• Quiet room leads into twin bedroom - ideal for teenagers and older children.
• NB - head height in this room is full height in places but beams do come down as low as 1.5M in some areas.
All rooms have beamed ceilings and some exposed stonework.
The house is surrounded by a traditional style courtyard with original feel stones. This area is ideal for dining al fresco and has a BBQ.
The courtyard leads to the garden where there is a private gated saline water swimming pool of 10M x 4M which is in construction for 2013 season. Table tennis
The garden is edged by some woodland on one side, and the trout stream on the other.
There is parking under the garden for when guests use 'river road' or over the mediaeval bridge when coming on foot (200M away) .
A Little About The Area:
San Michele is situated in the heart of the Garfagnana hills approximately 1 hour north of Lucca.
The village is split into two by the River Serchio which is a trout stream, with the ‘historic village’ on one side, and the ‘new village’ on the other. The 'historic village’, which is where the cottage is located, is best described as a small medieaval hamlet, and consists of only a handful of houses, and a ‘castle’ which is still inhabited by locals in the summer. Properties are reached on foot, via original mule track style 'roads'.
This olde worlde hamlet is accessible only on foot, over a mediaeval bridge, although in the summer the cottage itself is also accessible by driving over the 'river road'. There is a free (and cleverly hidden from view) car park just before the footbrige if you dont want to take your car over the 'river road'.
Staying here, is pure peace, with only the sound of the river running, and the occasional church bell to accompany your thoughts. It is also a unique experience, staying in a peaceful hamlet that has not changed for hundreds of years, and a great adventure for children.
The house itself is surrounded on one side by an ample garden with pool , a small woodland, and is bordered by the beautiful trout stream.
Whilst set in the middle of a time warp, one can walk to the local village of Piazza al Serchio for provisions, a couple of bars, a couple of restaurants, and a train station for easy exploring. There is also a pizzeria a 10 minute walk or so away, ran by the owners of the house, where you will receive preferential treatment - if you can tear yourselves away from the house!
For days further afield, Lucca is one hour, Barga 35 minutes, Pisa 1 hr 30 mins; Florence 2 hrs. The local market town of Castelnuovo is just a 20 minute drive, and there are plenty of hill top villages to visit, as well as the National Parks....