Traditional Tuscan stone cottage, with stunning mountain views and own pool! This 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom property has been recently refurbished to provide a comfortable holiday home, with a mixture of Tuscan character, and modern facilities.
This well priced property, ideal if on a budget, is set deep in the Garfagnana countryside providing a real rural retreat, yet just a short drive to two local towns. Surrounded by greenery and stunning mountain views, outside there are two fantastic spots for dining al fresco. One spot is on the covered terrace, which also basks in the afternoon sun, ideal relaxing in peace or for balmy pre dinner drinks, and the other, fully protected under the traditional Tuscan arch providing a beautifully cool ambience for lunches in the heat of the day.
The property has its own pool which although out of ground is a good size - 8M x 4M. The pool is set on a large patio/terrace facing the glorious mountains, and sunbeds are positioned on one side to take in that vista, as well as up above the pool on the grassy terrace where one feels on top of the world.
There are plenty of grounds for children to play.
Internally, all set on the ground floor :
- Well equipped kitchen, complete with oven, 5 ring hob, double sink, dishwasher, fridge freeezer, microvave, washing machine and breakfasting table.
- Leading from the kitchen is the dining room, with plenty of room to eat together. There is a charming tuscan arch style window and small relaxing area under an arch too. This room leads outside.
- The living room is complete with comfortable seating, TV, DVD, fireplace and double arch style doors leading outside. WIFI.
- Also on this floor, there are 2 good size double bedrooms, and a twin bedroom.
- One of the bathrooms is split level, with a bathing area with tub and handheld shower, ideal for those with children, with a couple of steps leading up and round to the WC and bidet area. There are currently no photos of this bathroom as it is new, and was receiving finishing touches when we visited.
- There is also a modern shower room with show cubicle, WC basin and bidet.
- Outside, large gardens, own pool, fantastic mountain views, and two beautiful eating areas. BBQ and parking.
NB - the property is situated all on the ground floor . Until mid June 2018 the upstairs is let to a local teacher who does not use garden or pool, and guests on the ground floor have sole use of these facilities. From mid June onwards the upstairs apartment witll be fully closed off giving guests complete privacy
A little about the area:
Set in the depths of the Garfagnana hills, yet less than a 10 minute drive from the local market town of Castelnuovo and between 10 and 15 mins from the town of Gallicano, this is a real rural retreat, yet convenient for facilities, with the closest good restaurant just a 5 minute drive. Both towns have shops, bars, restaurants and train stations for easy exploring, and both have a weekly market.
This peaceful location, with far reaching country and mountain views, is ideal for Lucca too, which is under an hour away..
Well located for exploring local towns and hilltop villages, the property is also within reach of some of the traditional Tuscan sights.
Locally there is:
- Market town of Castelnuovo di Garfagnana - 10 mins
- Gallicano - between10 and 15 mins
- Barga - beautiful mediaeval town, known for its jazz festivals, and good restaurants - 20 mins
- Grotta del Vento - extensive natural cave system - 30 mins and close to here there is also an adventure park where one can try river canyoning, canoeing, rock climbing...
- Buffardello - 30 mins - tree climbing and zip wire park with courses ranging from those for small children right up to the most adventurous of adults. Take a picnic or a BBQ and enjoy a day in the cool of the trees...
- Verrucole - 35 mins - ancient fortress with stunning views, and interactive museum ideal for the youngsters.
- Orecchiella - National Park - 40 mins
- Lucca - mediaeval fully walled city, and the birthplace of Puccini - less than one hour - hire bicycles and cycle around the fully intact wide walls, meander in the cobbled streets, do some designer shopping, relax with gelato or coffee in the many piazzas, climb some towers or visit one of the 99 churches! If you like opera, there is a recital every evening in the unique setting of a large church.
For a longer day out:
- Pisa - 90 mins
- Florence - 2 hours
- Beach - 1 hr 20 mins
An ideal location for doing nothing or exploring - the choice is yours!